Thursday, September 25, 2008

DAY BEFORE THE FEST


I just got word that TRUST ISSUES, my short made 2 weeks ago for the Film 2880 – the local annual 48 hour film contest – will be shown Saturday night at the historic Rose Theatre during the PTFF!

Usually one has to make the judges' cut to advance to the top 10 shorts, but this year though more filmmakers and filmmaking teams signed up, only 6 finished and submitted. So I'm a finalist by default – and I'm 4 slots closer to winning the prize of Final Cut Studio 2!

Even if I don't win that, or win the Audience Choice vote, and even if my film is the first shown (meaning it came in last place) I am thrilled for 2 reasons: 1) I finished a little movie (and in 48 hours) and 2) I get to see it on the big screen at my favorite movie theatre with people I know and love in the house. Yes!

Otherwise, gearing up. Got my blue pass 'round my neck, getting my EKPHRASTIKINO/POEMS INSPIRED BY FILMS chapbooks ready for display and sale at the merch table ("ten dollars – or fifteen and I'll give five to the PTFF!") and doing some last minute "training" by doing a double feature of the films leaving the Rose today, THE LAST MISTRESS and TRAITOR.

Well, it's cool and cloudy and windy today and yesterday too. Does this mean another year of wild northwestern weather for the weekend? Last year was the first ever PTFF with "bad" weather, but the shows all went on – except for the outdoor free movies. Folks would no doubt sit in at least a mild rain, but wind gusts and giant inflatable screens just will not mix.

Soon the volunteers will be filling up the Uptown Theatre tonight for a just reward – a screening of one of the big festival films, just for them. I didn't volunteer this year as I did last – I was window-dresser (for the Oscar Night Gala) and sundry proofreader/writer then, and my work in live theater (playwrighting festival winner! lead actor!) kept me busy this year – so I'm not crashing that, much as I might like to!

So everybody better get some sleep tonight; for the hardcore it's a last chance for a little while! Sweet kino dreams.....

No comments: